For Morningstar, efficiency and productivity are an organization-wide focus. When frequent issues undermined the performance of its monitoring systems, workflow, and automation tools, the company decided to move its SaaS applications to a private cloud. In this way, Morningstar could increase its own efficiency while enabling greater reliability and a better experience for its customers. Internally, an automated approach to service provisioning would help its developers build, test, and deliver new solutions more quickly at higher quality.
Morningstar chose Cloud Lifecycle Management to manage its 500-server infrastructure. To make sure they’re always working with an accurate model of what they have deployed, they also chose BMC Discovery and BMC Configuration Management Database (CMDB) to keep the operational picture up to date. BladeLogic Server Automation (now called TrueSight Server Automation) ensures all configuration changes and deployments happen quickly and consistently, while Remedy ITSM helps the company standardize on process automation best practices. The ability to use a single set of tools for both cloud and legacy systems was critical to the decision.
- Time to build a new environment has been reduced from 520 hours to 32 hours, making it feasible to build separate, optimized environments for development, QA, staging, and production.
- Expanding an existing environment has been reduced from 128 hours to 12 hours.
- Built-in compliance checks maintain alignment with Sarbanes-Oxley and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).
- New automated security parameters and configurations improve long-term stability, reliability, and security.
- Morningstar can continue to run its legacy systems while transitioning to the cloud.
"The BMC suite of products has been working well for us, and there’s more we can tap into as needed. What amazes me most about IT is when it just works, and our relationship with BMC is helping us get there."— Andrew Watts, IT Director, Morningstar
Let's discuss your transformation
BMC CMDB is your single source of reference for enterprise assets and servicesLearn More
Automatic discovery of data center and multi-cloud inventory, configuration, and relationship dataLearn More | Start a free trial
Configure, deploy, and patch servers to accelerate change, enforce compliance, and lock down securityLearn More
Accelerate innovation through provisioning and management of secure cloud services.Learn More
Innovative enterprise service management platform built natively for mobile with an intuitive, people-centric user experienceLearn More | Start a free trial